Panko Tilapia (Encrusted with Italian Seasoned & Panko Crumbs)
If you like Fish and Chips, you’ll love this easy recipe that’s a much healthier alternative because it’s baked and not fried. People have asked me if they can make this recipe Gluten-Free. The answer is YES! Just use coconut flour (vs. Italian and Panko breadcrumbs) and Nature’s Path Organic Gluten-Free Cornflakes (or other Gluten-Free cornflakes). Coconut flour and Gluten-Free cornflakes can be purchased in most health food stores. You can also buy Coconut flour online from Tropical Traditions.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Degrees F
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 tilapia fish pieces or other white fish (cut into strips)
- 1 1/2 c. mayonnaise (note: you can also use plain yogurt)
- ½ c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. honey
- Garlic salt and black pepper
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 3 fresh lemons
- Canola or olive oil spray (or coconut oil)
- Cut fish into long strips.
- In a large bowl, pour in Panko and Italian bread crumbs, basil, garlic salt and black pepper. Mix.
- In another bowl, pour in mayonnaise (or plain yogurt). Mix in lemon juice and honey. Stir well.
- In a third bowl, pour in flour.
- Take one fish strip and roll it in the mayonnaise. Then roll the fish strip in the flour mixture. Then roll the fish strip in the Panko and bread crumb mixture. Make sure all sides of the fish are coated well.
- Place breaded fish on a cookie sheet coated with olive oil. (Note: I like to use coconut oil to coat the pan. However, if you don’t have it at home, use olive oil).
- Repeat the above process of coating the fish in all 3 of the mixtures (mayonnaise, flour and bread crumb mixture) until all the fish are coated.
- Drizzle olive oil (and/or olive oil spray) over all the fish pieces.
- Bake fish approximately 15-20 minutes until fish is golden brown. (Turning the pieces to make sure both sides are cooked). Just before fish is cooked, squeeze the juice from the fresh lemons all over the fish. Cook for another minute.
- Serve immediately with Ranch dressing or Tartar sauce. This recipe also also goes great with my Avocado, Yogurt & Tequila dressing.
Also try this dish with my Simply Delicious Homemade French fries.
Please note that some folks have contacted me about whether or not tilapia is healthy. There has been a number of reports against tilapia. However, the Mayo Clinic and other reputable institutions recommend it. Please note this article from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/